Learning About L-1A and L-1B Visas for Intra-Company Transferees

In an international business world, maintaining competitiveness is crucial to profitability and success. In order to compete in the United States or worldwide, businesses frequently transfer employees to the United States to fulfill key positions in the company. The New York City law firm of J. Bruce Weinman, Esq. assists multinational businesses, employers and employees in achieving their business strategies by bringing foreign nationals to the U.S. in accordance with immigration laws.

J. Bruce Weinman, Esq., has provided comprehensive immigration counseling to clients for more than 35 years. At our firm, we understand the challenges and concerns our clients face. We know the immigration system does not have your best interests in mind. We do and we will help our clients obtain green cards and visas to keep their families together.

Attorney Weinman has decades of experience representing clients in the U.S. immigration process, including intra-company transfers and petitions for employment-based visas. Contact our immigration law firm for assurance that the employee is brought to the U.S. legally and in accordance with the laws for international intra-company transfers.

L-1A Visas ∙ L-1B Visas ∙ L-2 Visas

International businesses are permitted to transfer a foreign national employee to the U.S. to fulfill key positions within the business. In order for the business to qualify for intra-company transfer visas, there must be a business location in the U.S. and the international company must be a parent company, subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the U.S. company. Intra-company transferees can include:

  • L-1A Visas for Managers or Executives: Employees transferred to the U.S. company to fulfill positions as executives or managers may gain admission to the U.S. for a three-year term under an L-1A visa. The L-1A visa status can be extended for an additional two-year term up to two times. Any additional extensions will require a change in visa status.
  • L-1B Visas for Specialized Knowledge Individuals: Employees transferred to the U.S. company under an L-1B visa must possess specialized knowledge that is not common among the industry. Individuals with specialized knowledge may live and work in the U.S. for three years, provided the individual works for the specified company in the specified capacity. The L-1B visa status can be extended for an additional two-year term. Additional extensions are not permitted to L-1B visa status; a change in status to an L-1A visa may enable the individual to request further extensions.

Dependants (spouse and unmarried minor children) of the intra-company transferee can gain admission to the U.S. under an L-2 visa.

Whether you need assistance sponsoring a foreign national employee for an intra-company transfer visa or need assistance with your own temporary work visa, contact our law office for experienced counsel and personalized service.

To schedule a free consultation with an attorney, call our office at 212-947-3370 or contact us online. We are available Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and special appointments can be arranged. We are located at 305 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York NY 10007. Installment payments and credit cards are accepted.

Se Habla Español