Qualifying For A Visa To Escape Domestic Violence

An abusive relationship can make one feel unsafe and frightened, most of the time. If you are a battered spouse, child or parent in another country and feel you have no way out, we can help.

At the firm of J. Bruce Weinman, Esq., we can assist you in filing for an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). We care what happens to you. Call us today to review whatever your immigration circumstances are in an initial consultation.

Filing For An Immigrant Visa Petition

Our battered spouse immigration lawyer has years of experience advising and assisting people from other countries seek legal status under the duress of abuse. If you have experienced abuse at the hand of a spouse or parent, you may file for an immigrant visa petition under the INA, as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

The requirements to file this type of petition include:

  • For spouses: If you were or are the spouse of a permanent resident or U.S. citizen who has abused you or your child, you may file. Unmarried children under 21 can be included in your petition if they do not file for themselves.
  • For parents: If you are the mother or father of a U.S. citizen who has abused you, you may file.
  • For children: Unmarried, abused children under 21 with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent may file. Your children may also be included in your own petition. If you are an adult child over age 21 but under age 25, you may file for yourself, if the abuse was the reason for delayed filing.

Our priority is your safety. We will strive to work swiftly to begin the filing and guide you throughout the legal process. Our knowledgeable attorney can help determine if you are eligible to file for an Abused Spouse Petition (Form I-360) or a U-Visa (Victim of Crime).

Help When You Need It Most: Call Our Immigration Attorney Today

Do not go another day without seeking our assistance. Please call the firm at 212-947-3370 or send a convenient email to request a confidential consultation in New York City. We can arrange for you to pay by installments or you may use a credit card.